What a beautiful noise ...


Recently I've had the opportunity to commute to and from the Space Patrol Car HQ in Greenpoint, CT by train.

The journey snakes along the Southern Line and for a short distance hugs the coast of False Bay. For the past few mornings I've witnessed the most magnificent sun rises over the water and rock formations.

The decision to commute on the line is a no brainer when you look at it:

[1] Productivity
I have 2 more hours in the day where I can draw, write, create, listen to Podcasts, plan, internalise, structure and organize. You will find me deep in my Moleskine.

[2] Travel Expenses
A quick calculation shows that I am saving over 600% on costs. A monthly ticket costs me R190. Whereas I was spending approximately R1 200 on unleaded petrol.

[3] Carbon Footprint
Speaking of unleaded - I am also reducing my Carbon Footprint by catching the train. One less car on the M3.

[4] Excercise
The distance form the station to Greenpoint is about a brisk 15 - 20min walk each way. So I do get the blood going for about 40min each day. Granted, it's not at the gym but hey - I'm so happy I need to walk even if it's incidental.

[5] Mental State
Choosing significant iPod material - creative Podcasts, audio books or playlists - allows you to mentally move in the direction of your goals. You spend time improving your current state instead of listening to the radio noise whilst in bumper to bumper traffic.

It's been terrific. And I'd like to dedicate this post to my late dad who crossed over 10 years ago ... "Dad, when you were playing all those Neil Diamond tracks little did I realise that the clickity clack of the train on the tracks would have such relevance now. What a beautiful noise ..."

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's very good news Clint! I know Herman also used to take the train in. Sometimes I wish I stayed further so that I could justify it and have that set 2 hours to listen to music or something.
CraniumJack said…
When I first relocated to Cape Town in 1990 I caught the train from Kenilworth. 18 years later the adventure continues. What fun.
marcel said…
Nice one Clint! Very cool ... Took a trip from JHB to CPT a while ago. Before that I have the amazing memories of taking the train from Potchefstroom with my gran. Nothing beats it ! The creative's preferred means of transport , I think...

Popular posts from this blog

take a deep breath

Bon Voyage!

Why "The Woodshed"?